Yurii Lyubarskii, room 954 SB2, Yurii [dot] Lyubarskii [at] ntnu [dot] no
Mondays, 10:15-12:00, room 656, SB2 Tuesdays, 10:15-12:00, room 822, SB2
First lecture - Monday, 28.08
This PhD course is given every second year, and usually 4th and 5th year (Master) students take it along with PhD students.
"The theory of wavelets lies on the boundaries between (1) mathematics (2) scientific calculation (3) signal processing (4) image processing. The aim of the theory is to give a coherent set of concepts, methods and algorithms met in each of these disciplines"
Yves Meyer (Abel Prise winner, 2017)
- We will study the wavelet theory as a part of general time-frequency approach. After short reminder of basic facts in harmonic analysis we will discuss uncertainty principle, short time Fourier transform, wavelet transform, multiresolution analysis, Gabor systems, frame theory.
We will also discuss various applications of these techniques, in particular in the signal/image processing, numerical methods as well as pure math applications.
The information/organization meeting will take place on Tuesday, August 22, 14:15, room 922, SB2.
- The level is suitable for good students starting from the third year of study.
- It can be taken as a regular course (MA8104) or a 'fordypningsemne' (TMA4505).
- Prerequisites: TMA4170 Fourier Analysis (recommended), Matte 4 (must)
- (Main) textbook S.Mallat, "A Wavelet Tour in Signal Processing"
Monday lectures are moved to room 656 SB2 (Simastua)
There will be NO lecture on Monday 11.09
Additional lecture: Friday, 29.09.2017 room s21, SB2
In the Gabor analysis part of the course we use the corresponding chapters of the book of K.Grochenig
"Foundation of time-frequency analysis"
Additional lecture: Thursday, 19.10.2017, 8:15 - 10:00 room R 20
Additional lecture: Friday, 27.10.2017, 10:15 - 12:00 room B21