MA2501 Numerical Methods
Welcome to all of you who have signed up for this course.
Course lecturer: Trond Kvamsdal
|02.01||Welcome to the web page for MA2501 Numerical methods.|
|08.01||The first lecture will be given on Tuesday 9th of January 2018 at 12:15-15:00 in room B3 (3rd Floor at Berg Oppredning/Gruvedrift on Gløshaugen http://bit.ly/2m6v42l)|
|11.01||The next lecture will be given on Monday 15th of January 2018 at 10:15-12:00 in room F4 Gamle Fysikk|
|15.01||The next lecture will be given on Thursday 18th of January 2018 at 10:15-12:00 in room F4 Gamle Fysikk|
|22.01||The next lecture will be given on Monday 5th of February 2018 at 10:15-12:00 in room F4 Gamle Fysikk|
|08.02||On the exercise session 12.02, there will be a one hour introduction to NumPy and SciPy|
|26.02||On the exercise session 26.02, there will be a one hour explanation of the solutions to exercise 2, where the task was to implement different versions of Gaussian elimination. The Python codes of this exercise have also been updated.|
|26.02||In the project sessions, the guidance will be held at Nullrommet. If you do not have access there, please send Abdullah an email about this (the name of the study programme must also be included). This must be done before 06.03.2019.|
|26.02||The main page for the project has been updated. If you have formed a group of 3-4, report this to Abdullah, and he will register it.|
|05.03||Please remember to form a group of 3-4 members for the project. Once you have formed a group, send an e-mail to Abdullah. If you have problems with forming a group, send an e-mail to Abdullah. Then he can put you together with others who have not managed to form a complete group. The deadline for this is 06.03.2019.|
|06.03||The project has been posted now.|
|12.03||From week 11, every exercise session takes place at Nullrommet.|
|16.03||Exercise 3d) in the project has been corrected.|
|20.03||Exercise 1e) in the project has been corrected.|
|11.04||Exercise 2 and 3 in the project has been corrected.|
|14.05||The results for the project are here: ma2501_project_results.pdf|
|23.05||Permitted aids for exam is updated|
|28.05||Question hour (Spørretime): Monday 28th of May 15:15-16:00 Room 1329 in Central building 2|
|31.05||Exam solution and description can be found here: MA2501 Spring 2018 MA2501 Spring 2018 Solution|
Course description: See menu at the left.
Lectures and exercises
- Tuesday 12:15 - 15:00 in room B3 at Berg Oppredning/gruvedrift, NTNU Gløshaugen http://bit.ly/2m6v42l
- Monday 10:15 - 12:00 in F4 Gamle Fysikk, NTNU Gløshaugen http://bit.ly/2m8TEiL
- From week 11 to 17, the exercise session will be in Nullrommet.
- Week 11 to 17, Wednesday 14:15 - 16:00 in Nullrommet.
Text book and other teaching material
- Supplementary notes
See 'Curriculum' in the left menu. Be aware that changes might apply during the semester. The lecture plan will be updated weekly during the semester. Exercises and solutions will be part of the curriculum.
- Time: 31.05.2018, kl. 09:00-13:00.
- Examination aid C: Specified, written and handwritten examination support materials are permitted. A specified, simple calculator is permitted.
Permitted written aids:
- W. Cheney and D. Kincaid, Numerical Analysis and Computing (7th Edition), Brooks/Cole Cengage Lerarning (2013).
- Lecture notes MA2501 (47 pages)
- The project counts for 30 % of the final mark. The final exam counts for 70 %.
- Note that if you do not hand in the project you will be able to get a final result of 70/100 maximum, that is at most the mark C.
- You get credit only for project work made during this semester.
- The total mark is the only official mark for the course. The marking of the project which will be published on these webpages is nonoffcial, and can not be referred to during a complaint.