TMA4205 Numerical Linear Algebra, H2010
- Lecturer Brynjulf Owren, 1350 Sentralbygg 2, Phone (735)93518, email: bryn(at)math.ntnu.no
- General information see here
- Schedule (prelim) Lectures Wednesdays 08:15-10:00 (F6) and Fridays 08:15-10:00 (F3), Assignments Tuesdays 16:15-17:00 (F3). See also here
- First lecture August 25, first exercise class Aug 31
- Teaching assistant Bawfeh Kometa, 1304 Sentralbygg 2, phone (735) 91975 email: kometa(at)math.ntnu.no
Of the reading material listed below, you should buy the book by Saad, but not necessarily any of the other ones.
- Y. Saad: Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems. 2nd ed. SIAM, 2003. (main text)
- L.N. Trefethen and D. Bau: Numerical Linear Algebra, SIAM, 1997.
- J.W. Demmel, Applied Numerical Linear Algebra, SIAM, 1997 .
- G. Golub and C. Van Loan: Matrix Computations.3rd ed, The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996.
- W. L. Briggs, V.E. Henson, S.F. Mc Cormick: A multigrid tutorial, SIAM, 2000.
- Assignment no 4 [eng]
Solutions may appear even before the time when the exercise is supposed to be done. It is however strongly recommended to do the exercise before looking at the solution.
- Saad: 1.1-1.12, 2.2, 4.1, 4.2.1-4.2.4, 5.1-5.3, 6.1-6.11, 9.1-9.3, 10.1-10.2, 13.1-13.5, 14.-14.3
- Trefethen and Bau: Lectures 4, 5, 10, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
- Golub & Van Loan: 2.5
- Rønquist: Note on The Poisson problem in R^2: diagonalization methods. (See Notes)
Notes and handouts
- Christine Haugland, chh(at)stud.ntnu.no
- Knut Erik Skare, knut.erik.skare(at)gmail.com