The course follows Kenneth H. Rosen's Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications, 8. edition (ISBN 978-1-260-09199-1).
We recommend to use this book over earlier editions used in previous years since. It is smaller and more practical to use. At the same time it covers the syllabus, which not all of the previous editions do.
This year's syllabus will be the same as last year's.
- Chapter 1: 1.1 - 1.6
- Chapter 2: entire
- Chapter 3: entire (3.3 superficially)
- Chapter 4: entire
- Chapter 5: 5.1 - 5.4
- Chapter 6: 6.1 - 6.5
- Chapter 8: 8.1-8.2
- Chapter 9: entire, but without Warshall's algoritm
- Chapter 10: 10.1 - 10.6
- Chapter 11: 11.1 - 11.4 (11.2 superficially)
- Chapter 13: 13.1 - 13.5 (13.5 superficially)
The material linked here is not in addition to the syllabus or in any way mandatory; it is intended only as supporting literature or other assistance.
- As a slightly easier (but still very good) introduction in Norwegian to some of the topics of the course, we recommend Logiske metoder - Kunsten å tenke abstrakt og matematisk by Roger Antonsen. This is not intended to replace the textbook, but it can be useful as a supplement.
TDT4120 Algoritmer og datastrukturer, which is largely based on discrete mathematics and has some overlap with the syllabus: