Reference group for TMA4110 - Calculus 3, fall 2012
The members of the reference group are
- Anders Stensløkken andsten [at] stud [dot] ntnu [dot] no
- Håkon Walter Bjørnsrud haakonwb [at] stud [dot] ntnu [dot] no
- Kaja Hakkebo Kroglund kajahk [at] stud [dot] ntnu [dot] no
- Caroline Riegels Karlsen carolirk [at] stud [dot] ntnu [dot] no
- Øystein Gakkestad oystega [at] stud [dot] ntnu [dot] no
- Kristin Sofie Ruud kristisr [at] stud [dot] ntnu [dot] no
Minutes from the first meeting in the reference group
- Date: September 21
- Present: Anders Stensløkken, Håkon Walter Bjørnsrud, Kaja Hakkebo Kroglund, Caroline Riegels Karlsen, Kristin Sofie Ruud, Kristin Krogh Arnesen, Toke Meier Carlsen.
The new system with tests and exercises work well. The numbers of exercises and problems on the tests are suitable. I should put an outline of the course on the web page. It works better when I use blackboards during the lectures. There is too much text on the slides. It would be better if I use bullets points and more space between the lines. I should write the most important theorems on the blackboard. It would be good if I could use problems from old exams as examples. It would also be good if could use other examples than the ones found in the book. The lectures are well prepared and the course works well. It would have been nice if there had been answers to more of the exercises about differential equations. We are planning to have a "Mattelab" before the exam. It would be good if I could do one or more old exam sets in one of the last lectures and announce before hand which exam sets I will do.
The next meeting in the reference group is scheduled to take place on October 19.
Minutes from the second meeting in the reference group
- Date: October 19
- Present: Anders Stensløkken, Håkon Walter Bjørnsrud, Øystein Gakkestad, Caroline Riegels Karlsen, Kristin Sofie Ruud, Kristin Krogh Arnesen, Toke Meier Carlsen.
We discussed the new system with test again. The general opinion was that the systems work wells, but that it might be worth considering to have fewer tests, and to have more time between the exercises and the tests. Another thing which we found might be worth considering is to have extra lectures dedicated to examples.
It seems that most students prefer that I write on the blackboard instead of using an iPad. We agreed that I should indicate when symbols represent vectors when I write on the blackboard.
There were some reports that some of the stud.ass. have not been well prepared for the exercise sessions. We decided that I should remind the stud.ass. that it is their job to be well prepared for the exercise sessions.
We decided that there is no need for further meetings.