Moving to Trondheim

This page contains a summary of the most important issues regarding relocating to Norway. You can also find comprehensive information at the NTNU International Researcher Support (NIRS).

See also The Norwegian Directorate of Integration and Diversity's website for immigrants.

Certain terms used below are explained in the glossary.

Before you arrive

  • Apply for a residence permit
    When you have received your contract, you should immediately apply for a "Skilled Worker" residence permit at UDI (The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration) and book an appointment with the police. It is only after meeting with the police that you receive your residence card, which you need in order to register for a fødselsnummer (see "Contact the tax authorities" below and the glossary entry).
    • Citizens from EU/EEA countries do not need to apply for a residence permit, but still need to register with the Norwegian Immigration authorities. This is done through the UDI Application Portal. See UDI's web pages for more information.
    • Citizens from non-EU/EEA countries need to apply for a residence permit through the UDI Application Portal, and hand in the application and accompanying documents at a Norwegian consulate or embassy. See UDI's web pages for more information.
    • In either case: At the end of the UDI application/registration process you will be prompted to book a meeting with the Norwegian police at the police station in Trondheim. It is of the utmost importance that you book an appointment with the police as soon as you can, as they are often fully booked for several months ahead.
    • If you are asked for a Norwegian address during the UDI application/registration process and you haven't yet found housing, then you can provide IMF's address. If needed, NTNU or IMF can provide a confirmation or guarantee of housing in writing.
  • Look for housing
    NTNU has a help page for finding housing in Trondheim. The biggest housing ad web page in Norway is The Trondheim Vandrerhjem is an affordable hostel for short-term stays. The department also has several apartments for temporary stays at its disposal. Contact us if you are having difficulties in finding housing.
  • Sign up for language class
    Registration for language classes for the fall semester closes on 1 June and for the spring semester on 1 November, so be sure to register early! The Department covers the expenses for language class both for temporary and permanent staff, as well as for spouses of permanent staff. Note that permanent staff are expected to learn Norwegian within 3 years.
  • Buy flight tickets
    • Temporary staff will have to cover travel and relocation expenses themselves.
    • Permanent staff will have their travel and relocation expenses reimbursed by the department. (This includes flight, train, bus or boat tickets, as well as gasoline expenses.) You will need to apply to the IE Faculty for this reimbursement. In order for the relocation expenses to be covered, you will need to gather quotes from three moving companies. Send an email to postmottak [at] ime [dot] ntnu [dot] no detailing your travel and relocation expenses, and explain which moving company you chose and why. All three quotes must be attached. The university will cover the least expensive travel option, so please book your tickets well in advance.
  • Inform the Department
    Please let the Department know when you will arrive by filling out this pre-arrival form.

After you arrive

  • Contact the tax authorities
    After your appointment with the police, once you have received your immigration approval (see "Apply for a residence permit" above), you need to visit Skatteetaten (the Norwegian Tax Administration) to obtain your fødselsnummer and to be registered in Folkeregisteret (the National Registry). Note that these are two separate processes. You will receive your fødselsnummer within 2-3 weeks. If you are staying in Norway for less than 6 months then you will receive a D number, which is a temporary fødselsnummer. (You can also get a D number if you arrive in the country significantly before your police appointment.) See the relevant glossary entries for more information.
  • Open a bank account
    To open a bank account as a foreign citizen, you need to bring your passport, work contract, your residence permit (for citizens outside of EU/EEA) and documentation showing your fødselsnummer. (Note that the required documents may vary from bank to bank.)
  • Obtain a personal physician
    If you are staying in Norway for more than 12 months, you are entitled to a personal physician. After you receive your fødselsnummer from Skatteetaten, you will receive a letter from NAV (the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration) in which you are assigned a general practitioner (fastlege in Norwegian). In the meanwhile you may use the clinic at Gløshaugen. After you have been assigned a GP, you may freely change your GP here (only available in Norwegian).


  • If you have children, you should take a look at what SiT has to offer in terms of kindergardens and childcare.
  • As an immigrant working in Norway, you are eligible for a 10% tax reduction (an effective reduction of about 2-3 percentage points) for your first two years in the country. This deduction has to be claimed in your tax report.
2017-05-18, Hallvard Norheim Bø