MA0301 Elementary discrete mathematics – Spring 2017
Welcome to the course elementary discrete mathematics. It addresses primarily students in computer science. The central aim is to present an introduction to the basic mathematical foundations of computer science.
- 26-07-2017 The full curriculum of the course (check Lecture plan) is relevant for the 2nd exam on August 10. Emphasis will be put on set theory, induction, finite automata, and graph theory. However, exercises on all subjects can appear in the 2nd exam.
- 20-04-2017 Last lecture is on Monday, April 24. The summary lecture is on Wednesday, April 26.
- 07-04-2017 Exercise set 12 will be made available tomorrow. Apologies for the delay.
- 24-03-2017 Exercise Set 12 will be made available on Thursday, April 6, and has to be submitted by Friday, April 21. In the forthcoming exercise sessions (March 27-31, April 3-7, April 24-28) problems from the exams from MA0301 2013, 2014 and 2016 will be discussed.
- 28-02-2017 Information regarding midterm "trial-exam": Tuesday, March 14: R9, 10:15-12:00; Wednesday March 15: R5, 12:15-14:00; Thursday, March 16: S2, 10:15-12:00 (check Course Information).
- 27-02-2017 Håvard Bakke Bjerkevik will replace me on Monday, April 3 and Wednesday, April 5.
- 26-02-2017 Håvard Bakke Bjerkevik will replace me on Wednesday, March 1.
- 26-01-2017 An old paper on the history of mathematical induction The Origin of Mathematical Induction by W. H. Bussey
- 20-01-2017 Bourbaki - 14/01/2017, H. Helfgott, Isomorphismes de graphes en temps quasi-polynomial, d’après Babai et Luks. See also Le problème d'isomorphisme des graphes moins complexe qu’on ne le pensait
- 15-01-2017: Fix to the problem Graph Isomorphism Vanquished — Again
- 09-01-2017: Topic of today's lecture: laws of logic. Note the room change for group 5 on Thursday, February 2, (check Course Information).
- 06-01-2017: Interesting article Complexity Theory Problem Strikes Back
- 02-01-2017: The lecture starts on Monday, January 9, 10:15, KJL2. Note: I plan to follow roughly the Spring 2016 lecture by I. Smit. More details will be given next week.
- 01-01-2017: The webpage is under construction.