MA0003 Mathematical Methods for Computer Science - Fall 2014
|Instructor||Daniel Oliveira da Silva||daniel.dasilva (a) math.ntnu.no|
|Office||1124 Sentralbygg II|
|Office Hours||Tuesdays 14:00-15:00 or by appointment|
|Teaching Assistant||Karl Brustad|
|Lectures||Tuesday 12:15-14:00||R8||Daniel Oliveira da Silva|
|Thursday 14:15-16:00||G1||Daniel Oliveira da Silva|
Note: The lecture on 4. November will take place in room R9.
The course description can be found in the student handbook here.
The primary textbooks for the course are:
- Calculus and its applications, 10. edition, by M.L. Bittinger, D. J. Ellenboken, S. Surgent
- Lineære ligninger og matriser, by D.C.Lay (compiled by Ole Enge, 2004)
The following book may be helpful and can be used throughout the semester, including during the midsemester and final exams. It is available FREE online through the university library.
- Matematisk formelsamling, by Karl Rottmann
Tentative Reading List
We will attempt to cover the following chapters from each textbook.
Bittinger et.al (10. edition):
- R.1, R.2, R.3, R.4, R.5
- All of chapter 1
- 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4,
2.5, 2.6, 2.7
- 3.1, 3.2, 3.5
- 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6
- 5.3, 5.6, 5.7
- 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.8, 1.9
- 2.1, 2.2, 2.7
As is often the case, we may not get to all chapters. For more accurate information, refer to the course schedule.
Final Exam Information
- Counts for 80/100 or 100/100, depending on your midsemester exam grade.
- Date and time: 09.12.2014 at 9.00.
- Location: Will be announced here.
- Support materials: Code C: Specified printed and hand-written support materials are allowed. A specific basic calculator is allowed.
- Rottmann: Matematisk formelsamling
- One yellow A4-sized sheet stamped Institutt for matematiske fag, on which you can write as much as you like by hand on both sides. You can get one at the mathematics department office, 7. floor in Sentralbygg 2.
- Simple calculator: Citizen SR-270X, Citizen SR-270X College or Hewlett Packard HP30S.
- Homework assignments must be accepted for you to be allowed to take the final exam.
- Remember to bring identification!
Midsemester Exam Information
- The exam is optional, and will count for 20/100 if it improves your grade. Otherwise, the final exam will count for 100/100 of your grade.
- Tentative date and time: 09.10.2014 at 19.15. Location will be announced later in class and here. Be sure to be there early so the exam can start on time.
- Rules will be the same as for the final exam, except that you can just bring in your own A4-sized sheet.
All students are required to register for a recitation session. These are sessions where you will meet with student assistants, who will discuss exercises that have been assigned for homework. To register, you will use the university's "Øvsys" system. This is currently being set up, and more information about how this will work will come later.
Students with Disabilities
If you have a disability or a special need that requires some accomodation, you must apply for this accomodation. If this applies to you, click here for information about applying. The deadline for applications is September 15. Your application must be approved before we will make any accomodations. If your application has already been approved, you still need to e-mail email@example.com and describe what kind of accomodation you need.